Saturday, May 25, 2013

A quick trek to Tung aka Kathin Gad

Tung fort in Sahyadri

Being in Software Product Development field, most of my weekdays are spent in an AC office, with no connection to nature. I mean we do have plants in the office but I still wonder whether they are real or artificial.

Not that I don't like well maintained AC offices, but its kind of artificial world. You get used to it, but then your mind and your body needs a CHANGE. Open air, strong winds, water bodies, mighty peaks, deep valleys, rising sun and a fast drive into wilderness is something that defines CHANGE for me. 

It was a Friday evening, again, and time for me to plan the next trek. I had captured the images of Tung from Tikona and Lohagad, during my earlier treks, and I had decided to visit Tung at least once. Saturday morning was free, the car had enough petrol and the camera was waiting :-) What else do I need? BTW I have heard that some married people need approval from their better half, luckily I am not one amongst them. So no approvals!

Tung is an amazing fort. If you see it from a distance, say from Lohgad or 
Tung from Lohgad
from Tikona, you may not believe that it can be climbed without equipments. I knew that it might be one of the more adventurous treks, and hence decided to do it alone :-) BTW, I personally prefer to do a trek alone OR with someone who is interested in nature, physical exercise, quick trek, long drive and most importantly +ve attitude. Some of the people who fit in this include an entrepreneur, an MBA who doesn't want to fit in the corporate culture, a gifted guitarist, and other exceptional ones.

On a side note, I became a people manager recently and the first thing I realized is when you appreciate someone, others feel they are ignored. But that's not all. The other part is the one who gets appreciated, forgets that in next 10 minutes. My sincere request to all of you, who have been with me for such treks, is to include yourself in the list of "exceptional ones".

This time it was going to be just me.
Tung from Tikona

I started at 5 AM in the morning. There are multiple advantages of starting early in the morning. First and foremost, you are out of the city in no time. But there are others too ! You can breath fresh air, see sun rise, hear birds music.

I decided to take the least recommended route, Pune-Pirangut-Paud-Javan-Shilim-Morve-Tung Wadi. Note that the route till Javan is the same as the one for Tikona. Also note that this route, especially beyond Javan till Morve, requires a four wheeler with enough ground clearance, a decent car insurance, and driving skills.

When I reached Javan, it was around 6 AM. The sun rise was expected in few minutes. The morning twilight and the panoramic view of Pavana Dam, Tung, Lohgad-Visapur range was amazing.

It was time for some quick photographs
Sun rise in a water body!
and prayers for the 'Sun' God. With that I began the next part of the journey. The next one hour was spent in search of a 'tar road'. I mean there was some 'tar' and there was something like a 'road', and  I was driving and covering the remaining distance, but there was no 'tar road'.

When I reached Shilim, a small village, a villager asked me to stop. While driving through the interior parts of Sahyadri I have learnt that one should obey such instructions. When I stopped the car, he requested me to take his kids to Morve as they had to reach there in 30 minutes and the next ST bus was yet to arrive. 

At least once in your life you are offered "Ummeed Se Dugana" (twice than your expectations). This was that moment in my life :-). Even before I accept the proposal, 9 kids came from nowhere, opened the three doors of my car and jumped inside.  I had no other choice than to take them to the next village Morve. Even with the additional load, the car was doing decent. Within 15 minutes we reached Morve and by the time I stopped the car, the doors were opened and all the kids were out of the car.

From Morve to Tungwadi was a great drive. Once could see Pawna backwaters
Tung as seen from the Morve - Tungwadi road
and the majestic Tung fort. I reached the base of Tung fort at 7 AM. BTW, there was free covered (by trees) parking available at the base. A rare case indeed (as a second thought, Purandar fort also offers free & covered parking at the base, provided you reach early).

The climb from here is decent, definitely not steep. Its narrow and the path is rocky. In 15 minutes I was at the main entrance of the fort. The real trek continues for next
Tung fort - Entrance
15 minutes till you reach the peak. The remaining climb, again, is not steep. But as you reach the peak, the route become narrow, slippery and the valley is deep enough to scare a novice.

Compared to many forts, this is a easy and simple trek, except for this last patch. That's why I don't want to recommend this as a family trek. 

When I was very close to the peak, I could see the path becoming narrow and slippery. 'To do or not to do' was the question, I mean to attempt the summit or not was the question. It was the fight between my bulky body structure and crazy mind. Guess what, in this case, mind won over matter :-)
The Valley

It was 7:30 AM in the ... mobile ! I have stopped using a watch from the time people invented mobiles, now I am waiting for the next invention that replaces mobiles :-)

Tung was historically a watch tower due to its structure. It's just 10x10 feet platform at the top. And there are deep valleys on all side except the narrow route to the top. From here one can get a 360 degree view of Sahyadri. One can see Morgiri, Lohgad, Visapur, Bhatrashi, Pawana Dam, and Tikona fort. It was windy. Due to the 30 minute climb, the body and the mind were in refreshed state.

Don't ask me where are the photos from the TOP. When the mind won the game, the body asked me to keep at least the back pack and the camera SAFE. So I kept the bag at the decision making point. Next time I am going to take a brave person with me who can accompany me and carry my bag to the TOP at least for the last patch.

During all my treks I follow a ritual of eating a decent breakfast and drinking enough water when I reach the top. As my backpack was not with me, I had no other choice than to start my return journey without breakfast at the TOP. A few minutes of descend and I was SAFE again, with my back pack.

After a quick breakfast (including an Apple and chikki) I started my return journey. At 8:15 AM, I was back to the 'covered parking'. 

For the most 'normal' people, 8:15 AM on a Saturday morning is the time to have bed tea or probably the break fast. When people were busy doing that, I had finished a great trek,a long drive and enjoyed an "Ummeed Se Dugana" event. The body was refreshed, the mind was refreshed, and I still had the rest of the day for the 'business as usual'.

Now was the time to decide the route for the return journey. Technically there are many ways of driving from Tung to Pune. I had short listed two options. One was the route that I had taken in the morning and the other was a safer and easier one, Tung-Morve-GhusalKhamb-Lonavala-Pune. I chose the first one ;-)

There were no events during the return journey. The traffic in the city added 15 more minutes to the drive. At 10:30 AM I was back to home, ready to do all the weekend tasks that a caring husband has to do !



Elevation
1075 m (3527 ft)
Difficulty Level
Easy
Endurance Level
Easy
Adventure Level
Medium
Fun Level
Great
Ideal for
Drive and trek in 6 hours ( avoid July & August months )

1 comment:

ADITYA DATAR said...

very nice ! m planning to go there the day after !
ur info helped a lot !
we are going there by bikes ! and by the javan-shilim route :D

thanks a ton !